Saturday 30 June 2012

Luck, the Friend


My report is due, my director awaits my reply,
as I sit by the river, pen in hand,
thinking of the intricacies of life.

An old hand casts his lure into the
Noosa River trying his luck once more,
for his spot is not a special one,
the pier where hire boats bump,
people wanting to come ashore
for more beer, more laughter.

Why does he try his luck at this place
where fish are never caught?
Why ask luck for the impossible unlikely
and stretch a friendship that has seen many years?

Loud inebriation disturbs his peace
as chips and beer are loaded.
One more bump before they leave
trailing laughter in their wake.

My director still awaits me,
I feel my luck stretching.
Better to keep an easy going
friendship with luck and ask
for more when luck is likely to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment