Sunday 1 July 2012

Bunching in Numbers


Evening spreads its thin grey veil,
night will shroud us in darkness,
white clouds turn grey,
grey turns to black.

The warm autumn temperature cools,
giving a slight release to the heat.
A breeze wafts passed cooling all,
I lift my arms to receive it.

The rainbow lorikeets have taken to safety,
they bunch in numbers in the same tree,
all crowding together, squabbling, chittering,
some making comfortable noises.
All become quiet, once darkness is here.

The kookaburra will laugh through the night.
But the kookaburra will still be in groups,
protecting each other from harm.
They set each other off cackling away,
a comical sound merry in its way.

Cicadas nearly smother all of evenings call,
they are powerfully loud in numbers,
that familiar sound of the tropics,
reminding those of home who are gone.

I breathe in the cooler air scented with jasmine.
My mind wonders to other jasmine moments,
a Beijing evening watching the crimson red sun set
above the Forbidden City setting fire to the clouds
over the western mountains, with jasmine scenting the air.

I revel in the chance to be alone
with all of evening’s creatures.
I settle my thoughts, slow my mind.
The body winds itself down,
it is the natural way of things.

My mind wonders lazily over the day
thinking of what was and what is to come.
I stroll back to my own haven.
I hear laughter, squabbling, chittering
and some comfortable noises.

No comments:

Post a Comment